Study Tour Blogs

All home safely

Our departure from Japan was mildly stressful at the beginning but then turned into the usual grind of a long trans-Pacific flight. The bus that got the group to Itami airport was right on time (it arrived at Itami at about 6:40) but the line to get us all checked in was rather slow-- this being the downside of the Japanese "attention to detail" that we have all been praising up until now. The last two members of the group made it to the departure gate right as boarding was beginning; talk about cutting it close.

On the American side, no problems with customs or immigration. On the domestic connecting flights, the only problem was that Andrea had to re-pack the bottles of saki that she had been carrying and get them into her checked luggage. We knew we were back in the USA when, even after the baggage handlers were told that Andrea's backpack had fragile bottles in it, they nevertheless clunked them onto the conveyer belt without a thought to being gentle.

As far as I know, everyone made it back to their respective cities and homes, hopefully to a good nights sleep (I woke up at 2am, ready to start the day).

Patrick Hughes

July 18, 2010 Off to the Airport

Greetings from Kobe. It is 6:15 a.m. and we just saw the group off with "Indiana Jones" Patrick, on the bus to Itami Airport in Osaka. In about 40 minutes, they will arrive at Itami, and take a domestic flight to Narita Airport in Tokyo. At 11:00 a.m. today, they will board their ANA flight to Washington Dulles Airport. So, all is well and everyone's family members will be seeing them soon.

Our thanks to the teachers for being good sports throughout our three weeks here in Japan, and for learning an amazing amount. I was so impressed by their reflections the last couple of days during meetings, their observations about Japan, and their ideas for teaching about Japan. They have "kept on trucking" despite heavy rains and hot, humid weather. They have ridden just about every form of transportation that Japan has to offer, and walked miles and miles. As I told them this morning, the special part of all that was their ability to interact with Japanese of all walks of life, on a daily basis, in a variety of situations. Throughout, they were good ambassadors for the U.S. and were graciously received by the Japanese they met, in part, because they made a good impression themselves as visitors to this country.

Hiroshi and I leave our adopted city of Kobe today for his home area of Nagano. Patrick will blog again after the group's arrival stateside. So for now, goodbye from Kobe and we'll see all of our group again in October in Pittsburgh.

Brenda and Hiroshi

JAPAN- Our last day in Kobe- Jul 17, 2010

Meeting for a group activity included a train ride to an unknown destination... but ended up as a great treat. We went on dinner cruise of Kobe Harbor.

Let the photos show you our last evening in Kobe. As I write this suitecase and carry on ready to go in just 8 hrs! See you all on the other side...

Click an image to zoom with description

  • Our boat at the dock, Kobe, Japan
  • Dinner cruise, grou at tables, Kobe JApan
  • Everyone got fab pics on the observation deck after dinner!

Amazing Race

Japan Journal Day 19: Friday, July 16, 2010: 9:43 PM Kobe Time

Today was our free day, free Friday if you will. I had lots of ideas over the weeks how I would spend this day. Originally, I was thinking a hike in the mountains, but after hard core hiking with Brad and Scott, I didn’t think that was necessary. Another thought was to visit the Emperor’s Palace in Kyoto. This was the residence of the Emperor for over 1000 years, until 1868. But, I had already spent 2 days in Kyoto, and I didn’t feel like spending another 4 hours on crowded trains.

Then, sometime during our day in Osaka, I thought that I really hadn’t gotten to see much of Kobe, the city where our hotel was located. Why not spend the day checking out the local area? Well, I really didn’t want to just wander and find what I could find, so I conceived the idea of having our two Japanese speaking tour leaders, Hiroshi and Brenda, prepare a list of 10 sites in the Kobe area, and having whoever wanted to break into teams of 2 and get their picture taken in front of as many as possible. In other words, do our own version of the Amazing Race, Kobe.

At one point in Osaka, I had 8 people on board, but one by one they abandoned the idea, and by morning it was just Jae and I. Thus, we were racing daylight rather than other teams. After a team meeting from 9-10 for all team members not going to Kyoto [that group had already left], Jae and I got our list from Brenda, and went to my room to Google the ones we couldn’t find on our map. The course was challenging, we would need to use 5 forms of transportation [walking, taxi, bus, train, and cable car – there was also something called a ‘Port Liner’ but it was a modern train that felt like a monorail]. In addition, we would need to go all over town, and even hit two sites outside of town. The final destination was to make it to Okomoto by 7:00 PM, where we would meet up with a group of sushi fans.

Our first stop was walkable from the hotel – ½ mile or so. The skies were lightly clouded, the air was hottish, and the humidity level was high. For those of you into meteorology, the dew point here is 75 right now. Our first objective was a local gardens. Had we more time, we might have actually gone in, but it was 300 yen, and we really didn’t know how this day would go.

From the gardens, we walked south towards Chinatown, our second objective. Had we gone straight, we would have arrived in ¾ of a mile. As it is, we walked 2 miles. Much of the walk was along a covered street – so we did not roast too badly. In China town we had the assignment to eat Chinese street food. It was early yet, and hot, so Jae and I each bought a dumpling for 50 yen each. They were like raw bread dough on the outside, and like broiled pork on the inside.

From Chinatown, we had to catch the train to Sannomiya, to change to the Hankyu line to the Rokko stop to get to the student coop at the University of Kobe, Rokko Campus. This was the same campus we visited before, so we knew the way. If you are ever in Kobe, it is simple. Take the Hankyu line to the Rokko station. Then walk uphill until you melt into the pavement. Although we pretty much knew the way, we stopped and ask directions from a couple of Mormon Missionaries. Yes, they are everywhere in Japan. There is freedom of religion here.

If you remember the view from the campus, you might imagine the hill to get to campus. It was tough. My entire shirt was already wet/damp, and I had purchased a bottle of drink from a vending machine and drained it. We bought a few items at the coop and got our picture taken. We also bought a large bottle of water. We refilled our smaller bottles, and took the rest along as well. This water lasted about an hour.

Our next objective was tougher. We were to take the Rokko Cable Car to Rokko Sanjo Station. This was tougher because our map was not to scale, did not include many side streets, did not label the streets it showed, and rendered landmarks in cartoon format. One thing we knew, we had to hike yet higher up the mountain. We stopped several people to ask directions. A random man on the street, a mailman in his truck with the black cats on the side, two students who discussed between themselves the best way to get there, until admitting that they really didn’t know. In the end we reasoned that if we went further up the mountain, we were bound to see it. We took a street that seemed a direct route.

About half way up the street, a electrical crew was working on power lines. We asked again, this time they pointed further up the street we had chosen. It was still a long way straight up. It was hot. Did I mentioned the humidity? Up we climbed. When we arrived at the cable car station, we had to way of knowing how far up the mountain it would take us. After pictures outside, we purchased round trip tickets and waited to be boarded.

That cable car, as it turns out, is actually two cars that counter balance one another and pass half way [exactly] up and down the mountain. That way, a minimum of power is required to lift the weight up and down the mountain. This made the Shin Kobe ‘Ropeway’ look like an amusement park ride. We just kept going up and up and up. It was more like the cable car at Koyasan, but was a longer ride. When we stepped off at the ‘top’, we had to climb a number of stairs, and we were amazed at the change of climate!

The humidity had dissipated, the temperature had dropped, and we were feeling downright comfortable. The sun put in an appearance and we quickly ran to catch our first view. Wow! What a stunning view from up here! We must have climbed over 3000 vertical feet! The view was amazing. We went from view point to view point trying to see as much of the view as possible. We could see Osaka, we could see Kobe, we could see the inland sea, we could see majestic billowing cumulus congestus clouds. There was also a group of 1st graders there for a field trip [yes, Japanese students are still in school!] and they were cute running around bumping into each other. There were several parent volunteers and teachers, just like a field trip in the US.

We could not stay long, so we descended with the next car. After exiting the station, we hopped on a bus that was bound for the railroads down the hill. It saved time, and did not cost much money. We took the JR Train to Sannomiya where we headed on foot to a section in the North of town that was settled by westerners around the turn of the 20th century who built western style mountains many of which survive to this day. Many of these people donated their homes to the city when they died. Some are museums now, and one was even converted into a Starbucks!

We took our picture in front of the two assigned houses, and made our way back down. Did I mention the houses were perched at the foot of the mountain? You can actually see some of them if you Google Kitano, Kobe. We saw the Weathercock house and the Moegri. Did I mention it was humid? By this point in the day, I already had white streaks on my shirt from dried sweat salt.

Next on the list was to take the Port Liner to Port Island. The “Port Liner” sounds like a ship, but is actually a newish train that runs from Sannomiya station due south onto the man made island called Port Island that liquefied and sank during the 1995 earthquake. It is a beautiful island in part because it is spread out, like in the states, rather than being all crammed together like on the mainland. In addition to convention centers and office buildings, there was a sports center that had a pool in summer and a short track [like in the winter Olympics] in winter. There is also the headquarters of the UCC Coffee Company. We took our photo and walked on.

Our next target was Harborland. This was across Kobe Harbor from Port Island. Our hope was to catch a ferry across, but after walking several miles on the island, and not getting any closer to our destination, we decided to use our taxi ride. As part of the deal, we decided ahead of time that we could take one taxi ride. This was it. The ride cost 1460 yen – well worth it. Traffic slowed our progress and gave us a chance to rest in a very comfortable air conditioned taxi cab. Did I mention it was humid?

The time was past 5:00 now, and we had to rendezvous at 7:00 with more of the team in Okomoto for sushi – our last time at what had become for many their favorite place to eat. It was pushing 6:00, but when we got to Harborland, we saw roller coasters, parks, and a huge Ferris wheel. This was not as massive as the London Eye, but it was larger than the typical fair ground variety by far. There were two cars on the wheel that were specially made out of all plexiglass so you could see in every direction, even down! We looked at each other and shrugged, it was only 100 yen extra per person, so we said – “Why not?” In discussing the matter tickets in hand, we laughed to discover that we were both afraid of heights. It was a nerve wracking but very cool view.

Our victory dinner was at the Okomoto Sushi Place. Although we only got 8 out of the 10 objectives, we felt quite satisfied with ourselves. We walked, rode, and were driven all over the place, got practice using the mass transit system, got to know the city of Kobe MUCH better, and had a great time doing it.

Tim Jekel

Click an image to zoom with description

  • First destination, the Garden.  We think this is a great idea.
  • A small snack in China Town.  Already got lost once, but still think this was a good idea.
  • Cable Cart to Rokko Mountain.  This is officially when I start questioning this endeavour
  • View from Mt. Rokko......a moment where it seemed like the hike up and getting lost 4 times seemed worth it.
  • Trying to figure out how to get to the other side.  Tired, hungry and ready to take a cab.
  • THE cure for all those who have an irrational fear of heights.
  • Kobe tower and another building not on our list to visit, but it looked interesting so it's included free of charge.
  • Tim on the right path to looking for a wild boar.  Note I'm not moving at this point, too hungry to move.
  • Finale, Tim eating the most delicious and most expensive Tuna he will ever taste.

Final Reflections from Japan

Susan Brown
The Park School
July 17, 2010
Final Reflections from Japan

Throughout our travels in Japan I’ve been struck by cultural differences—little things that distinguish east from west, Japan from the United States.

I’ve been impressed with how gracious everyone is—but it is more than mere graciousness. Japan is a society that is oriented to service and people take care of you whether you are in a store, at Starbucks (where we’ve been often—a little bit of home), or lost on the street (we’ve been taken by the hand and led to the right bus stop or building as we’ve blundered along). Everything is done with patience, a smile and concern. People will attempt to speak English, particularly young people who have been abroad to English-speaking countries, but everyone is very appreciative of “arigotou” (thank-you) and “gozaimasu” (basically have a good day) in Japanese.

Like so many places, the geography has helped shape and define cities. Japan is a country roughly the size of California with a population 3 ½ times larger than of the Golden State. The terrain is much more mountainous than California so there is nowhere near the same amount of available land. Cities are compact, with space being vertical instead of horizontal. As we’ve traveled around by train I’ve been struck by the apartment houses that sit next to gardens that are in turn next to rice paddies that but up against a tiny parking lot, etc. All space is used.

Shinto Shrines and Buddhist Temple pepper the landscape: many old, some new, almost all with beautiful grounds. They are peaceful environments that seem to welcome all. It has been a real educational experience learning about both faiths and how they intertwine ceremonies and practices. Having seen the buildings and the grounds it is easier to understand the rites and practices.

The conversations I’ve had with my colleagues about Japanese culture, religion, philosophy and art and how we will bring what we have seen and learned back to our classrooms have been among the best experiences of trip. There is so much to think about, assimilate and translate into lessons.

While the trip has been exhausting, the sights, sounds, food and collegial exchanges have been well worth the exhaustion. It’s been a wonderful experience in so many ways.

Independent Day in Kobe

Ahhh Kobe, our home away from home. Today was a hot and smultry day. I ventured out to the Sorakuden Garden.

Sorakuden is widely regarded as the city's premier Japanese garden. The garden dates back to 1885, but has seen additions since then. The garden has seen devistation from fire bombing duirng WWII and a magnificent mansion and may supplimentary buildings are gone. However, the European-style stable and the surrounding walls and gates remain. Later, on the grounds, two histrically cultural properties- buildings- were moved to the site- the Hassam House and Funayakata. The Funayakat is extremly interesting, as it is the last "Kawagozaune" (houseboat) in existence. It was used for pleasure cruises by a feudal lord of Himeji and is thought to be constructed between 1682 and 1704! Also, the Sorakeun Kaikan and a tea house were constructed on the grounds.

I paid 300Y for admission, and it was well spent on such grounds! I was the only patron, two gate keepers were quite chatty upon my arrival, and two gardeners were tending the flawless grounds.

When looking at the image, pleas remember, the garden is nestled in the metropolitian city of Kobe- the contrast of buildings is quite astonishing.

I then ventured back towards the Hotel and stopped in my lucky break of the day, a very small ceramics gallery and "eco house" gallery. Pretty neat, and great deals on ceramics! There were images of the homes that were new construction that are eco friendly as well as a few ceramics and painted fans.

Then, another few blocks on the way towards the hotel, I entered the Kobe Kitana Meiser Garden- a handicraft center that housed baked goods and food items on one level, handicrafts and arts on the second and a concert area on the third. I picked up some glass items in the TOMAS GLASS LAB workshop and gallery. I had a wonderful conversaion with the artist as she made beads.

IT was a slow paced day that showed me parts of Kobe that were right outside the hotel, just not the direction we travel daily. Truly calm and relaxing.

Click an image to zoom with description

  • Darla at Sorakuen Garden, Kobe Japan
  • Sorakuen garden and Kobe Skyline, Japan
  • Eco house gallery, Kobe Japan
  • Artist making glass bead at TOMAS Glass Lab, Kobe Kitano Meister Garden- Japan

Independent Day in Kyoto

Independent Day in Kyoto

Today Kelly, Sharen, Kachina, Amy, Julie and I spent our free day in Kyoto exploring the Fureaikan (Kyoto Museum of Traditional Crafts) and Kyoto International Manga Museum.

At Fureaikan we learned about the many traditional crafts of Japan that artists are stilling practicing today. We saw how fans, kimonos and lacquer ware were made – just to name a few. There were artists at the center demonstrating their crafts and there were many videos explaining the process that are not available to purchase. We were very sad about this! Even though the museum was free we supported the local artists by purchasing many fine pieces of art.

We had a lovely Korean lunch along are way to subway station. The food was excellent, but our favorite part was the bathroom. When you flush the toilets that when you can wash your hands in sink on the lid of the toilet. See picture below. It is an engineering wonder!

Our final stop was at the Manga Museum. The only museum of it’s kind in the world. The museum was three floors of library/art studio/gallery/museum shop. It was filled with an array of diverse visitors. The different people we noticed were from India, France, Belgium, Korean, United States, and the UK. After viewing the exhibits a couple of our non-manga believers were converted and learned to appreciate Manga as art.

After a successful, stress-free train/subway ride there and back we treated ourselves to one of our favorite little desserts that only cost 150 yen. They are lusciously little doughnuts filled with vanilla ice cream. Yum!

Lisa Allswede
Julie O’Leary

Click an image to zoom with description

  • Sink/Toilet Combo
  • The ladies at Kyoto Int'l Manga Museum

July 14th - Disaster Day at Kobe University

The day began with a very stimulating and technical lecture by Dr. Tanaka about the major lessons learned from the 1995 Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake. The group learned about the country's reaction, research and newly implemented policies used today. After the lecture the group had the opportunity to view a traditional Japanese home once owned by a famous poet, which he donated to the university after the earthquake. Then, Dr. Tanaka treated everyone to lunch in the faculty lunchroom.

After lunch we moved on to the Disaster Reduction and Human Renovation Institution (DRI). This space was dedicated to the 1995 earthquake and water disasters. The DRI used images, movies, artifacts, simulations and experiments to educate people about natural disasters. During our visit we had two personal tour guides who stealthy accompanied us throughout the entire building. We had two tour guides for six of us - it was magical. Another magical aspect was the Forest room where we watched a movie about the benefits and disasters caused by water. How it helps to ensure the life a platypus, but can shut down an entire metropolitan area as it did in Kobe in 2009.

Some individuals chose to escape to the Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Art to view the Reiko Exhibit. The people were floored by the European influence on modern Japanese art. What was most shocking was the lack of availability of these works of art to those outside of Japan. One would not be able to see how Rodin influenced Yanagihara Yoshitatsu. Some of our favorite pieces were "Nude" by Koide Narashige and "Chorus" by Koiso Ryohei. Check out these modern art loving dudes.

Click an image to zoom with description

  • At the DRI with our fabulous tour guides
  • Traditional Japanese Tea Service found in a Japanese home
  • View from Kobe University

And later that day ... another kind of educational experience ...

And the second part of our mini-bus tour took us to the Otsuka Museum of Art ... or as someone else called it ... "The Fake Art Museum" ... oh, yes ... there is a story here, my friends ...

Housed in the largest exhibition space in Japan (total floor space is a reported 29,412 square meters) is a collection of over 1,000 ceramic reproductions of master works in Western Art. The museum was funded by the Otsuka Pharmaceutical Group, which established a committee of six Japanese art historians who decided on the works to be reproduced in the identical sizes of the originals. And if that is not curious enough, our tour guide was neither man nor woman ... in fact, it was not human, but instead was a robot named Art-kun, who debuted at the museum in July of 2009. Art-kun lead the group around the museum for an hour before we broke into smaller groups to tour the museum.

The general reaction of the group to Art-kun - ours as well as bystanders we would encounter along the way - was puzzled amazement ... was this really happening? Were we really standing and gazing at a full-size reproduction of Michelangelo's Sistine Ceiling while this self-propelled robot spoke about the significance of the work? In fact, were we still even in Japan? The answer of course, is yes ... yes, this is happening; yes, we are listening to a machine; and yes, we are still in Japan. In fact, I think only in Japan could one find such an interesting and unique use of technology ...

As someone who has seen the Sistine Ceiling "for real," the experience in Japan was far different, and yet, in some ways - dare I suggest it? - better. There were no large crowds hustling about; we had the exhibition space to ourselves. No one was screaming over and over in Italian, English, and French ... "no photos, no photos!" Instead, it was quiet and serene ... and yet, because I knew I was looking at a reproduction, I made no effort to really engage with the work itself, but instead was awed by the sheer space the fresco inhabited. And then I realized, this is exactly what I did when I saw the actual work by Michelangelo in the Vatican ... too overwhelmed by the crowds and the noise, I really could only appreciate its grand size. And then I realized that the experience of the Japanese replica was, in a way, more enriching than my experience at the Vatican, as the Sistine Ceiling sits so high above one's head, it was hard to discern the colors or figures; moreover, the lighting was poor, also creating a less than ideal viewing situation. At the Otsuka Museum of Art, the ceiling was well lit, and the work was placed far lower than the ceiling actually sits in the Vatican; moreover, the space was accessible from the second floor, thus enabling an even closer look at the work.

I know the ceiling I was looking at today was not "the real deal" ... however, I would argue that depending upon who you ask, there is little point in studying the Sistine Ceiling as it presently appears as the work of Michelangelo. In 1980, the ceiling underwent a massive restoration, much to the dismay of many art historians, who claim that the fresco was cleaned too vigorously, and its brighter colors are not what the artist originally intended. Who is to say .. the work dates from 1508 to 1512; in less than 50 years, damage from a leaking ceiling was evident, necessitating restoration and cleaning, which started in the 16th century and happened numerous times prior to its most recent cleaning.

The Otsuka Museum of Art was undoubtedly a "greatest hits" of the art of the Western world ... my enthusiasm was admittedly utterly unchecked as I moved from room to room ... there was the Villa of the Mysteries ... an Etruscan tomb ... Emperor Justinian and Empress Theodora! The Arena Chapel frescos! Six works by Caravaggio! Leonardo's Last Supper ... before and after restoration! Manet's Olympia ... and his Luncheon on the Grass! The list goes on and on ... as did the photos ... I must sincerely thank Jae, Karina, Kelly, and Amy for their patience as I made each of them take photo after photo of me. Here I am next to the Mona Lisa, me posing with the Lady Regents by Frans Hals ... oh, and there I am, nearly TOUCHING the Arnolfini Wedding Portrait! And in the midst of all of this I realized, this is like Disney World for art historians ... and as much as I adored every moment of the experience, it was a bit like a game. A really great game ... but I was awed by scale and sheer volume, not by the actual pieces themselves, something that Lisa noted as we discussed the experience on the ride home.

As I paged through the museum brochure later, I realized that while there was a great deal of technology involved in the creation of these ceramic reproductions, there was also a surprising amount of hands-on retouching of the reproductions by other artists. Artists who have their own style, their own manner of holding a paintbrush or applying color. Perhaps that is why my beloved Olympia didn't seem quite right ... or the proportions in Titan's Venus of Urbino seemed off. In seeking to perfectly recreate these pieces, there is something important missing. And yet, I have never seen Manet's Olympia for myself ... or Titian's Venus of Urbino. But I could describe every inch of each of these paintings to you, even with my eyes closed, as I have studied them in countless books, both as a student and as a teacher.

Where does this leave us? With a lot of interesting questions ... who decides what is worthy of reproduction? What is authentic? How important is the actual experience of a work of art versus a reproduction? For my students who have been following my adventures via the blog ... you know where this line of questioning will lead. It is ultimately up to the individual to determine what constitutes art ... of course, not everything can be art, or the word would lose its meaning. However, I would argue that the works within the Otsuka Museum of Art can be called art for numerous reasons, even if they are, well, fake.

Click an image to zoom with description

  • Our new friend, Art-kun ... slow moving, but well read ...
  • Being able to see the actual size of the works of art was incredible ...
  • A little Vermeer, anyone?
  • Reproductions, yes ... but to see these works together ... amazing!

Tues July 13th - The Earth Defense Facility ... helping to make the Kobe 1995 Earthquake a critical learning experience

Today was a break from the hustle and bustle of taking the trains; it was almost too easy - a mini-bus awaited us as we departed our hotel! A quicker than expected ride (less than an hour) found us arriving at the "E-Defense" center (officially, the Hyogo Earthquake Engineering Research Center). This center was created in response to the Hyogoken Nanbu (Kobe) Earthquake, which occurred on January 17, 1995. In this horrific 7.3 magnitude quake, almost 6,500 citizens of Kobe and the surrounding region lost their lives, and tens of thousands more lost their houses. The economic consequences reached nearly 1 trillion dollars, making it the most expensive natural disaster on record. Construction of E-Defense began in 1999 and was completed in 2005. At this facility, Japan is learning to construct buildings and other structures which can withstand major quakes, or at a minimum mitigate the damage to less than catastrophic levels.
The major way in which testing takes place is though the worlds shaking table, which can simulate high level ground motions. The table (see attached pics) can simulate quakes of around 7.0 magnitudes; the engineers at the facility construct anything form small apartment type building to the top floors of much taller buildings (up to 30 stories, I believe). We watched video footage of simulated quakes, and saw how earthquake-resistant buildings can withstand quakes to a much greater extent than those that are not. On this particular day, workers were busy a model nuclear power plant, obviously to gain insights into how a power-plant of this type can withstand a quake. Pretty important research to gain, one would think!
After viewing the shaking table, we toured the rest of the facility - the facility was built along the major fault line of the Hyogoken Nanbu (Kobe) Earthquake. Therefore, obvious remnants of this disaster were readily observed (see attached pics).
In terms of how this experience shaped my thinking, I couldn't help but think that the Japanese became introspective in their approach to this horrible event. In the seemingly tried and true Japanese approach to dealing with a "defeat," they began a detailed look at the shortcomings to their response to the earthquake and maybe more importantly, how to avoid such destruction in the future. Now, new construction must be in accordance with earthquake resistance standards, and many existing buildings have or will be retrofitted to help avoid the calamity experienced in 1995. Simply put, in a manner that (in my thinking) arguably mirrors the response to the Hiroshima atomic bomb drop, Japan is in a mode of thinking of "never again." While Japan certainly cannot control the seismic activity of the earth, they can at least help to control the impact that the unpredictable forces of the earth can wreak on their country.

Click an image to zoom with description

  • Hydraulics which move the "shake table" at E-Defense
  • The "shake table" at E-Defense
  • Damage from the Earthquake
  • Nuclear Power Plant model -- will go on the "shake table" soon